Drug addiction is a problem that requires drug rehab so the person can recover fully. Drug addiction rehabilitation is the psychological treatment of patients suffering from substance abuse. People can be addicted to prescription drugs, ecstasy, heroine, cocaine and amphetamine. Drug addiction can cause a stigma to the family in particular and the society, in general. Children of drug addicts can be traumatized by the experience. They, themselves, are prone to substance abuse later if the problem is left unattended.
Drug Rehab Information
According to American Psychiatric Association, drug abuse is deemed present when the patient shows the following symptoms as per delineated in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual-IV (DSM-IV):
A pattern of substance use which lead to clinical impairment within a period of 12 months accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Regular use of drugs which cause inability to complete or do an important duty at school or work such as poor performance, absences or being expelled from school and other negative ramifications due to using drugs.
- Repeated use of the drugs even if it is poses physical harm to the person like when driving a car or operating a machine at work.
- Repeated problems arising from use of drugs such as juvenile delinquency or getting arrested for misconduct.
- Unable to cease using the drugs even if the persons social and relationship aspects are suffering such as getting involved in fistfights, constant quarrels with a loved or inability to stay focus at school.
Best rehab centers can help the person turn his life around. It is crucial that the person must focus on finding drug treatment before the problem becomes worse. The earliest stage of the drug problem is the best time to seek treatment. The programs at rehab clinics provide holistic treatment to the individual. They do not just help with the physical aspects; they cater to the emotional and mental aspects too.
Do you need rehab for women?
Drug rehab centers in an inpatient setting are highly beneficial to the patients quick recovery from substance abuse as is to a outpatient rehab. The drug treatment facilities provides a number of programs and treatment options to suit the needs of the patient. The drug treatment centers also provide gender specific treatment programs tailored to meet the patients specific requirement.
Reasons Why Individuals Should Go to In-Patient Rehab Centers
- In-patient setting provides the person round-the-clock help. The addict is able to extricate himself from harmful temptations surrounding him in his usual environment. By transplanting the patient in a more secure environment, it will be hard for him to get access to drugs. The recovery process can be long, tedious and very challenging for the addict. The detoxification step can be very hard for those with serious withdrawal symptoms. The 24-hour care in a rehab facility provides constant monitoring on the patient so he can go through the process with relative ease.
Away from Harmful Environment Influence
- This is one of the greatest advantages of going to an in-patient rehab programs. If the patient remains in familiar surroundings, it will be hard for him to resist temptations. The first step should be to get the patient as far away from the negative influences surrounding him as soon as possible. A time away from home is also helpful in the psychological needs of the patient. It enables him to find relief from the stresses associated with his usual surroundings.
- An inpatient rehab setting is staffed with highly trained staffs that can attend to the patients needs in a timely manner. This is particularly important if the patient has a delicate condition. The staffs are also able to provide care on multiple fronts. The trained staffs know how to handle the patients health difficulties adequately.
- The inpatient rehab community provides a more supportive and nurturing environment than the home. The patient is able to develop lasting bonds with people in similar situation. Since the patients and staff in a affordable rehab center are working towards the same goal, the level of support inside the center is definitely higher compared to that outside.
- The in-patient drug and rehab centers can tailor a program based on the persons needs. This is important because each patients case varies. Some patients may need long term rehab facilities to recover. The kind of drug they use also differs. This is why an individual plan is highly effective since it takes into consideration the patients unique situation.
Focus solely on getting well
If the patient is far from the stress, it is easy for him to focus solely on getting well. His mind is freed from outside problems such as family or financial woes that would usually push him to do drugs. He is able to quickly adapt to changes that are necessary for his recovery.
In-patient Rehab Treatment Process
- The initial process of the drug treatment program begins with the doctors conducting physical exam on the patient. The doctor looks into the medical history of the person, current medications he is taking and psychological assessments to determine the seriousness of the patients problem. Once the doctor is done with the exam and evaluation, he is then able to choose the appropriate medications for the patient. The therapist is also able to make a customize program that will be suitable to the patients individual plan. The therapy takes into consideration a number of factors such as hereditary factors, mental disorder history, mental condition of the patient and personality traits.
- The patient does not just conduct examination or evaluation, he also diagnoses the patient. Most drug addicts have other ailments such as bipolar disorder or clinical depression. These conditions sometimes serve as triggers for drug use. For instance, a prolong depression may push a person to use illicit drugs to alleviate its symptoms. This, of course, will compound the problem because he develops addiction to the drug. The doctor and the medical staffs can help the patient recover from these other illnesses too.
- This is the first step to the rehab program. This step can be very dangerous. In this stage, the patient needs to cease using drugs. This is probably the hardest part of the process since abrupt stopping of drug consumption may lead to various symptoms some of them quite serious. Possible symptoms associated with detoxification are vomiting, disorientation, shaking, anxiety, pain, hallucination, seizures and sweating. The patient may find it hard to deal with some of the symptoms. They may become violent or develop depression.
- Patients are tempted to use drugs again in this phase. This is why in-patient rehab programs very safe and helpful because medical professionals can monitor the patient during this difficult phase. The staffs can also help eradicate the symptoms and speed up the recovery process.
- The doctor may need to provide substitute medicines to lessen the symptoms. The intensity of the symptoms will depend to a number of factors such as the amount of drugs used, the length of time the person used the drugs and the kind of drug used.
- People who are addicted to methadone are given a limited dose of methadone hydro-chloride to reduce the effects of the drugs like heroin. It also helps the patient in maintaining a sober mind all throughout the treatment which is vital in preventing relapse.
- After detoxification stage, the patient undergoes therapy. Once the drug is removed the patients system, he is better able now to do therapy. Therapy helps establish the causes behind the patients addiction to drugs.
- The patient often works with other people with the same drug problem during this stage. The rehab facility will provide both individual and group therapy sessions.
- Individual therapy sessions often include counseling. During rehab counseling, a professional psychotherapist specializing in addictions help the patient confront his personal problems. Issues and possible causes of the drug problem are dealt with such as family issues and psychological problems.
- Cognitive therapy may be needed to start the treatment after detox. During the first few weeks of withdrawal from the substance, the patient may feel depressed. This symptom often goes away after four weeks. If after a month, the symptoms continue then the doctor re-evaluate original diagnosis and may treat a major disorder if the symptoms will not go away.
- Medications, behavioral therapy, interviews, motivational counseling are all needed to prevent the patient from having a relapse. These strategies will also help eliminate the patients desire to use drugs.
- The individual therapy session helps to uncover the patients reason for using drugs. The therapist will come to know the causes of his actions. The therapy will help the patient get past the issues that haunt him. It will also help him move on with his life.
- Group therapy sessions are also provided in inpatient rehab setting. In this type of therapy, the patient works with a small group of similarly recovering addicts for support. The group will try to motivate each other, give advice, share experiences, encourage and cooperate in order to strengthen the need to do away with drugs.
- The group members are also made to share their problems, gender issues and other related concerns. The small group is also made to undergo relaxing techniques together such as yoga or meditation. This will help them handle stress effectively instead of resorting to drug use.
- The aim of group therapy is to provide constructive community experience geared towards helping each member pursue the right direction. This also enables the drug addict to see that he is not alone in his struggles. The members are able to relate with each other since they undergo similar problems.
- This is the third phase of the treatment. This is the last stage of the residential program. Patients in this stage have attained a level of control in themselves that make the counselor or therapist confident in their abilities to assimilate to society again. The patient is taught how to live in an environment where the temptations and triggers abound.
- This stage will test the patients ability to remain drug free. During this phase, the patient remains in constant contact with his therapist to ensure that he will not go into relapse once the former temptations resurfaces in his life.
- He is also encouraged to attend outside support groups to strengthen his resolve to steer clear from drugs. The patient is taught the concept of sober living so he will never do drugs again despite the temptations.
How much does rehab cost?
The family and friends of the patient are vital in this stage. This support to the addict is invaluable to help succeed in our top rated rehab centers particularly in treatment financing and understanding the cost of rehab. Strong family and friend support can encourage the person to attain full recovery and avoid relapse. The luxury drug rehab center helps the family cope by providing them with information and family counseling.
Does rehab work?
The amount of time needed to complete the treatment will depend on the person. Most residential programs have time limits. However, the center can extend these time limits if needed. Some patients may need at least a month to recover. Others may need several months to complete the program. This will depend on severity of the patients drug problem. Often lengthy programs are more successful too since the patient is given enough time to fully recover.
To avoid relapse, the person must be able to develop effective stress management skills. The drug treatment programs teach the patient some coping skills and provide necessary support after the rehabilitation program. The battle to resist temptation is a continuous process. It is important for the patient to remain strong in his desire to stay away from drugs. He must continually motivate himself, surround himself with the right people and walk away from environment or circumstances that might push him to do drugs.
Rehabilitation is possible to all patients as long as they are willing to stick to the program. The treatment used should also be effective for the patients particular situation. Getting to the root of the problem is also the key to preventing relapse in the future. So contact us today if you or a loved one is suffering from addiction and need the treatment services provided by our drug rehab facilities or our alcohol rehabilitation centers!